FALL 2018 Animal Records Volunteer/InternNational Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium, Dubuque, IA
This listing has expired
The Dubuque County Historical Society operates the National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium, National Rivers Hall of Fame, the Mathias Ham House Historical Site, and the Dubuque Guide Service. The Museum & Aquarium serves over 200,000 people a year, including several thousand more each year at its historic sites and tours, telling the story of the Mississippi River and the History of the Dubuque and Tri-state area.
Greater than 90 full and part time employees and over 500 volunteers.
Deadline to Apply is August 26th at 1pm
- Assist in maintaining both active and inactive animal records systems (electronic & hard files) while ensuring data quality standards are met.
- Assist in the maintenance of historic animal records (electronic & hard files).
- Assist in the maintenance of animal records related to census/inventory process at the aquarium.
- Enter both historic and current animal record data into ZIMS (Zoological Information Management System).
- Enter both historic and current enclosure data (water quality parameters) into ZIMS.
- Maintain written records in accordance with established practice and policy.
- Complete all assigned tasks in a professional manner and abide by the departmental confidentiality agreement regarding all documents and records.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent communication skills, computer literacy & knowledge of common software applications required.
- Candidate will typically be seeking to gain experience in biological science, records management, database management or information science.
- General knowledge of taxonomy, natural history and animal husbandry is helpful.
- A High School Diploma is required.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language.
- Ability to interact in a courteous and professional manner.
- Must learn quickly and be self-motivated to elevate personal skill set.
- Must possess good decision-making skills to make sound, independent judgments.
- Must possess good problem-solving skills to identify problems and suggest solutions.
*Interns need to commit 150 hours, with an 8-week minimum, (approximately 12 – 20 hours per week, for 8 – 12 weeks).
*Volunteers need to commit 8 hours per week, for at least a four-month commitment.
- NMRM&A Application
- Cover Letter
- 1 letter of recommendation
If there is interest in more than one internship the NMRM&A is open to the combination of internships dependent on specific needs of the individual. This is a temporary, non-paid, part time position. If interested, please send application requirements to Vicky Sutter, Development/Intern Manager at the following address, or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Learn more at: https://www.rivermuseum.com/join-our-team
National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium
350 East 3rd Street
Dubuque, Iowa 52001
(563) 557-9545 ext. 276
This listing has expired
Volunteer and Non-profit
|Years of Experience||--|