FALL 2018 Animal Records Volunteer/InternNational Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium, Dubuque, IA
This listing has expired
The National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium is owned and operated by the Dubuque County Historical Society, which also operates the Mathias Ham Historic Site. The River Museum and Mathias Ham Historic Site together see over 200,000 visitors and manage outreach programs that serve over 50,000 more. Part aquarium, part museum, part science center, it is the mission of the institution to inspire stewardship by creating educational experiences where history and rivers come alive. The organization employees more than 90 full- and part-time employees.
Deadline to Apply is August 26th at 1pm
- Assist in maintaining both active and inactive animal records systems (electronic & hard files) while ensuring data quality standards are met.
- Assist in the maintenance of historic animal records (electronic & hard files).
- Assist in the maintenance of animal records related to census/inventory process at the aquarium.
- Enter both historic and current animal record data into ZIMS (Zoological Information Management System).
- Enter both historic and current enclosure data (water quality parameters) into ZIMS.
- Maintain written records in accordance with established practice and policy.
- Complete all assigned tasks in a professional manner and abide by the departmental confidentiality agreement regarding all documents and records.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent communication skills, computer literacy & knowledge of common software applications required.
- Candidate will typically be seeking to gain experience in biological science, records management, database management or information science.
- General knowledge of taxonomy, natural history and animal husbandry is helpful.
- A High School Diploma is required.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language.
- Ability to interact in a courteous and professional manner.
- Must learn quickly and be self-motivated to elevate personal skill set.
- Must possess good decision-making skills to make sound, independent judgments.
- Must possess good problem-solving skills to identify problems and suggest solutions.
*Interns need to commit 150 hours, with an 8-week minimum, (approximately 12 – 20 hours per week, for 8 – 12 weeks).
*Volunteers need to commit 8 hours per week, for at least a four-month commitment.
- NMRM&A Application
- Cover Letter
- 1 letter of recommendation
If there is interest in more than one internship the NMRM&A is open to the combination of internships dependent on specific needs of the individual. This is a temporary, non-paid, part time position. If interested, please send application requirements to Vicky Sutter, Development/Intern Manager at the following address, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more at: https://www.rivermuseum.com/join-our-team
National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium
350 East 3rd Street
Dubuque, Iowa 52001
(563) 557-9545 ext. 276
This listing has expired
Volunteer and Non-profit
|Years of Experience||--|